A 45 Year Olds Take on TikTok
A 45 Year Olds Take on TikTok
A 45-year old’s take on TikTok:
TikTok, it’s unavoidable these days. Try as you might, someone in your household, and most certainly multiple people in your business are using TikTok, AKA Musically, daily. They consume content, search for trends, be entertained and buy products and services based on what they digest, on the fastest growing social media platform in the world. This is why your business needs to be part of it. Here’s my take on TikTok as a 45-year-old dad of three current users.
Head of Business Development
Friday 24th June 2022
So, what is TikTok?
TikTok is a social media platform that brings millions of users together to create and discover fun, enjoyable mobile videos, enable widespread discussion amongst their peers and often at times influence buying decisions. Here are some quick, key stats about the reach of the platform;
- •57% of users are female, 43% are male.
- •TikTok generated an estimated $4.6 billion revenue in 2021.
- •TikTok had 1.2 billion monthly active users in Q4 2021 and expected to reach 1.8 billion by end of 2022.
- •It has been downloaded over 3 billion times by end of June 2021. (source: businessofapps.com, June 2022)
How does it work?
The TikTok algorithm allows users to find videos of interest by searching and following;
- •Relevant hashtags
- •Following trends/using current hashtags
- •Trends change daily – it’s important to keep on top of this and perhaps more importantly be one of the first to ‘jump on the trend’
Why businesses should consider advertising on
User engagement is at an all time high (90% of TikTokers go on the app multiple times a day and spend an average of 45 minutes on the app).
- •It has international reach
- •It’s simple to use
- •Influencer marketing – your audience follows these people who ultimately influence buyer decisions
- •Businesses can target their content at specific user/interest groups who ‘follow’ certain categories and trends
- •Many, multiple lifestyle brands use the platform to showcase in a fun way, their staff, products and services e.g. ASOS, Gymshark, Starbucks
- •B2B businesses are also in on the act – Microsoft, Zoom and Sage. (Source: B2B Bite, Jul 2021)
- •By investing effort into your video creation and building your audience and followers, with valuable content, the greater the chance you will have in maximising customer retention, getting new ones and growing overall brand awareness for your business.
@sageuki @itsrowanne bosses the new MTD rules by getting tax right every time for her business using our software. Find out how you can too! #BossMTD ♬ original sound - Sage
Key difference from other social media platforms
- •While Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram are focused on text and images, TikTok is all about sharing videos – which elevates a new level of engagement with your target audiences
- •TikTok’s features of using common music and sounds, the ability to stitch and react to videos opens your exposure to a wide, diverse audience and its algorithm means the likelihood of your ‘business’ video being seen on your prospective client’s FYP – For You Page!
Considerations when ad targeting
TikTok’s features of using common music and sounds, the ability to stitch and react to videos opens your exposure to a wide, diverse audience and its algorithm means the likelihood of your ‘business’ video being seen on your prospective client’s FYP – For You Page!
- •Who is your audience?
- •What do the demographics look like?
- •What interests does your prospect/target audience have?
- •What behaviours do they portray?
- •What devices are your audiences viewing content on?
- •What is your objective?
- •What is your daily or lifetime budget?
- •Lifetime of your campaign?
- •How you can increase engagement and achieve better long-term results
- •What text would you like to accompany your ad that will engage with your target audience?
What should my content look like?
- •Remember! Social is all about video content, it’s a fun channel, not a serious platform so when creating your video content, it is important to take this on board.
- •Users utilise the platform to be entertained and explore, in a fun way, information that is of interest to them.
- •Nothing will turn your prospective audience off more than serious, boring content
- •To perform well on the platform, brands find ways to create and share entertaining content that engages with their audiences and elevates their brand
- •As it is video content creation as opposed to text of flat images, you are able to create content that is engaging and relatable.
- •Remember to be consistent, creating and posting regular videos that show off your brand, will have both short and long-term payoff for your business.
- •It’s a great way to show your business’s personality behind your brand
- •Deciding whether to integrate TikTok into your marketing strategy is important, and if you are a fan, do you have the in-house resource available to consistently produce content?